It's this time of year that I like to look back at the passed year and reflect on it. Some people like to do these year in review things during December, but those people are lame. I mean, you need some distance, you know what I'm saying?
Anyway, here are gaming related events that were important to me in 2007:
In list form!!
1. The return of the Harlequins - So, I don't even own an Eldar army. I may never own a Eldar army. Still, I was so excited to see the Harlequins return. The original Rogue-trader area Harlequin box was one of the first sets I ever owned. The new minis are some of the best that Games Workshop has ever put out. I probably seeing them through nostalgia-colored glasses, but I'm really happy to see their return.
2. My first 40K campaign- Even since I started playing 40K, I wanted to be part of a campaign. This year, I finally got the chance. Because of the campaign, I think I played more games of 40K this year than I have in the last 2 combined, seriously. It was a map-based campaign, which was another thing I've wanted to try. 40K is so much better when you have some story behind it to motivate you.
3. Finally getting my Thousand Sons on the table - My army in no where near finished, even now. But I was happy to finally make the switch from Space Wolves to Thousand Sons this year. Oh course, playing a new army is a learning experience. I had a lot of victories at the beginning; from which, I learned very little. It wouldn't really matter because...
4. The New Chaos Codex - It's just my luck that right when I finally start playing my new army, the army gets completely re-vamped. I think most of the changes were for the better. My only complaint was that I spent so much time building those stupid demons, only to have them made mostly useless.
Still, I not one of the many, many people who posted on forums all over the Internet that they were going to quit playing 40K because of the new Chaos Codex. Hmm, funny, I see those same people still posting on those same forums.
Anyway, new Codex means new miniatures and this batch of chaos ones are some of my favorites ever. Did I mention how much I like SPAWN!!!
5. Apocalypse - I must admit that I don't actually own a copy of Apocalypse yet. Still, I like the theories behind it. I like that 40K is moving away form the tournament/ power gamer mentality which it's been mired in for way too long.
6. The year of the bitch and moan - I don't know if I just never noticed it before now, but MAN, are people on the Internet bitchy! I used to love chatting on forums about gaming, but it seems that most of my favorite forums have been taken over by people who like talking about how much they hate 40K more than they like to talk about how much they like 40K. Maybe people have always been like this, but it seems to me that in the last year, it's gotten so much worse.
7. Blog-splosion! - I know that's not a word, but I've used it before and I'll use it again, so there! This year, so many great blogs have hit the scene. Bell of Lost Souls continues to blow my mind. My buddy, Old Coast (a.k.a. John) has been posting some great stuff over at Plastic Legions. Of course, there's also Rich over at Chicago Terrain Factory who continues to amaze. Check out my side bar for more great blogs.
Next time: Looking forward to 2008!