Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Looking Forward for 2008

Well, now that I have the reminiscing of the last year out of the way, it's time to see what's in store for next year!

1. "What is Wargaming?" article - When people ask me about wargaming, I usually refer them to my own site. Then I realized that I don't do a particularly good job of describing what all these little painted figures are for. One friend looked at my site and said, "It looks like D&D mixed with model railroading." I can't say that I can argue with that, but I figure I can do a better job of explainign it. Then, when I've finished the article, you can send the link to your friends and family who have no idea how you spend your free time.

2. More terrain! - No, I'm not going to build any more terrain. At least not until I have someplace to put it. Still, I like looking at pictures of terrain. I think a lot of people do, so I'm going to be starting a new segment at the end of this month called, "Terrain Mondays". If you have a terrain feature that you're particularly fond of, please forward me a picture and I'll present it here.

3. More games... Maybe... - I started this wargaming business with a skaven Warhammer army. I tried to start a goblin army a few years back, but it never really went anywhere. I'd like to get back into Warhammer Fantasy Battle, but I'm making no promises. John over a Plastic Legions has been harassing me for ages and maybe I'll give in... Maybe.

It doesn't help that all the new vampire counts miniatures are freakin' awesome! I suspect I can get away with a smaller army than a goblin horde and therefore paint it faster. I'm not making any promises.

If not, my son has taken an interest in Star Wars Miniatures. I'm not sure what I can feature here, but maybe I'll make some terrain or something. If nothing else, I'll actually be playing something besides 40K.

4. Running my First 40K Campaign - I'm pretty excited about this. I'm basing it loosely on mighty Empires. I'm hoping it will be fun for everyone involved. Watch this space for updates.


Other Stuff

I'd like to give a shout-out to Chicago Terrain Factory for hitting the one year mark. Congratulations, Rich! -and I agree, blogs are better than forums!

On that point, tomorrow is this blog's two year anniversary (One year under the old name and one under the new). Just sayin'.

I forgot to mention two important events on my year in review post: the opening of Games Workshop Oak Park (a.k.a GWOP)and the opening of Galaxy America. From the looks of it, GWOP is doing great. Unfortunately, Galaxy American in rumored to be in some sort of dire straits. Word on the street is that they had issues with their landlord and are presently looking for new space. Best of Luck to them. I hope to see them back soon.

4 comments:

JPL said...

Nice Scott!!

The power of WFB compels you, give in my son!...LOL..at least try a few practice games with me (you can use my Goblins.)

So are you taking over the Bell Street Campaign? I was wondering why you were not playing in Brians.

I'll send you some stuff for your terrain mondays..as I have more ongoing terrain stuff than I have time to blog about.

You forgot one thing for 2008-
Blog more!. congrats on two years buddy-

Anonymous said...

Scott, I will gladly play some WFB. Just saying.

Also, if you'd like me to document some of my terrain projects, I'd be glad to.

Scott said...

I'll definately be taking both of you guys up on your offers for terrain.

Also, knowing that I shouldn't have difficulty finding WHFB opponents makes things easier.

Anonymous said...

WFB. You know you want it. Goblins are easy to paint. Go for it!!

:D